Thursday, January 3, 2008

I learned the real inestimable value of of 'family time' this Christmas. I joined my wife, 28-year-old son, and 24-year-old daughter playing some traditional board games around a small table in the breakfast room. And we had a wonderful time! Nothing high tech. And, for thsoe who know me, nothing that required a lot of thought. I never want games to take on the appearance of work. No, we went for frenetic, high energy, action games. Yatzee, Sorry, Connect Four. We played like kids...laughed a lot and just enjoyed each other's company. Like so many other families, we fall victim to the pace of life and often don't share enough time with each other. But I found those moments the best gift we exchanged at Christmas. And it didn't require wrapping paper and a bow to make it special. We needed just one more person to complete a perfect picture...my son-in-law, still deployed in Iraq. By the grace of God, he comes home in April. I hope you'll make an effort to share some family time. And don't wait for a special occasion or holiday. Why not today?
--Larry

No comments: